Monday, September 25, 2006

Trying not to be a poser....

This past weekend we traveled to Fayetteville, AR to watch our beloved Alabama football team. Well I say "our", but I am not sure that I can claim Bama as "mine" yet. Isn't there some sort of ritual that I need to go through to be a fan of a SEC team? I kind of feel like there should be. I'm not from here I don't know these things! I think that southerners have special milestones pertaining to fanmanship in the SEC that Californians don't learn when we are young. Unless you have attended a school in the SEC. At that point I will just call you a late bloomer or maybe a "delayed". I mean I screamed my face off, sang and chanted as best I could. By the way, Alabama has the most songs ever and being the relatively new fan that I am I have to say that I am a little intimidated. I wore a really cute jersey and thanks to the sun, I now have a small white spot on my cheek where the Bama face tattoo once stood. Steven called it a "fan tan". Now for all of you anti Bama fans out there (Jesse) hear this... I have made my choice! Don't try to persuade me to your side because I am not feeling connected to this team yet. I fully intend to press on and declare "Roll Tide" every chance I get, I'm just trying to solicit advice on how to become more emotionally connected to a team that I am a fan of by marriage. Steven said that I became a fan the day I was home by my self and drove to Target to purchase a new antenna just so I could watch the game. I still feel disconnected. Any suggestions? Maybe the next time we go to Bryant Denney I need to work for my fanmanship by collecting used plastic cups and wash them by hand.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Greg is a Bama fan by marriage (he even came in during the DuBose era...tough times) and he did not have to go through a ritual. I remember the proud moment when we were walking through Sam's and he saw the table of Bama shirts and he said, "I need an Alabama shirt"...still brings tears to my eyes. I will say that you are joining the Bama nation during some lean years. We haven't been at our typical level of awesomeness is several years (last year was close, but not quite there). Hang in there, fellow fan, we will rise again!

Anonymous said...

Kelly, as you read this comment you are going to be so proud because you can imagine that my face is turning purple and I am gritting my teeth in sorrow of your unfortunate plight of marrying into the "wrong" team. War Eagle. (Ok, so maybe you won't be proud at all because I just got everything in that I wanted to say in the first place!)

ANYWAYS, I kind of understand the feeling of "posing" for the SEC team that you marry into because Nick is in your very position. He loves Auburn and has adopted them as "his" team. But he occasionally expresses his feeling of posing when we go to games and he wears the colors and goes to the tailgates, etc. I personally feel that your "milestone" was your marriage. I tend to be a little snooty (as you know!) towards people to claim to love a team but they or their parents did not attend there. However, family members always have the right to claim the team in my book. (Which everyone thinks is SO important, I'll bet. ha!)

I'll ask Nick do give you his opinion. But until then, I suggest learning Bama's fight song. Nick seemed to really feel a true sense of "fandom" when he was able to sing all of the words with everyone else.

Anonymous said...

I am such a dork.

thewalrus said...

If you're looking for origins, it might've happened when you consummated your marriage. This is, of course, a testimony to my rabid obsession with the University of Alabama. Once you get it in your blood, you can't get it out. It's contagious. You'll understand the "ritual" with your first child (I'm presuming here, of course). Give him/her a nice spank on the rump and when he/she says "Roll Tide!", you'll know it's for real...