Thursday, June 22, 2006

A break for today

For some reason this summer has been so much busier then the past. That is just the deal with YM, but it still kind of caught me off guard. I did not do a good job of preparing myself for it. Steven has been gone all week for Uplift. This week really isn't so bad because he is still fairly close and accessible by phone, but I am ready for him to be home. He will be home, probably asleep, by the time I get home for lunch. So for today we have a break and then tomorrow we will be on the road to spend the weekend at the lake with the college class. I enjoy going and playing, but I also enjoy being bored every once in a while. Right now I want to be bored, at home, on our couch with my punkin right next to me.

Here is something fun... Last night I spent some time with former YM girls. They are going into their second year at Harding. I actually get to spend lots of time with them because we were super tight when they were in high school and that love is still there. Anyway, last night was great because I was aware of how much they are growing and maturing. They are thinking like college kids which is refreshing and I look forward to the adult thinking. I felt like I could be more real with them and less motherly. Even though I will always mother this particular class. I love this part of YM. Building relationships and maintaining them throughout our lives. What a blessing it is to remember kids in the 7th grade and then watch them grow into our peers. For them to be ministered by us and then do ministry with us, as partners. These kids are that to me as are so many Memphis kids. This encouragement spurs us on and shows us what God can do with very unworthy people.

6 comments:

Tesney said...

This is what I miss about Greg being a YM. I love it when a kid grows up and becomes more spiritually mature and makes you feel like, in some small way, you had a part in that. I feel really proud of them, like a mother hen.

Kristy said...

I have been very not-so-postive about being a youth ministry wife during the summer. Your post made me think of those girls that I have seen grow, and it just really encouraged me. Thanks.

Unknown said...

Kelly Kelly I love you. Do your kids that only know you as Mrs. Kelly Hovater call you Schepp? Is that a stupid question?

khovater said...

Tesney, I do feel like I had a part in their maturing and it is humbling and I feel so proud of them.

Kristy, that is so funny, becuase I read your posts and think, Man, she is really good at this YM thing. The first summer of marriage is the hardest. I promise it gets better.

Les, some kids call me Schepp and some call me Kelly (Hovater) really I have a lot of parents that still call me Schepp in LR. Memphis=always Schepp and I love it!

hms, Congrats! I was totally there from like 2:00 to 11:30, why didn't we see each other? I am super pumped about your new life changing shoes.

James, thanks your not so bad of an employee your self!

Jesse Faris said...

You are great. I would be thrilled if you were my youth minister's wife. Actually, I don't "have" a youth minister or a youth minister's wife right now. Would you like to be mine?

khovater said...

Jesse, I would love to be your YM's wife, wait does that make Steven your YM. Can you have a YM's wife without a YM. Either way I am down. Your a pretty stinkin good YM's wife as well.