Thursday, February 23, 2006

Why do I love furniture so much?

Over the past month or so I have been saving like crazy to buy new furniture for our house. Here is my thoughts on that. Part of me feels really frivolous and prideful that I want new furniture. I feel like I need to be content with the hand-me-downs that we have been so blessed with. I feel like all this money could be used to go in our "emergency" fund because who knows when something "emergency" like is going to happen. I feel like this money could be used more wisely. BUT I also feel like I have worked my butt off to pinch those pennies, denying myself social events that are held at restaurants just so I can get that new chair, table and entertainment center. I'm worth it! I haven't been using any of the money for our "get those school loans paid off fast" fund. It's all from my personal sacrifice! Don't I deserve it? Part of me thinks so. Well the part that likes to furniture shop thinks so. The other part of me says.." Kelly you chose to marry the most wonderful man in the world who also happens to be a youth minister and also chose to spend 50,000 on your education with the goal of becoming a social worker knowing full well that your secret desire was to never work again, lets just face it sister living that kind of lifestyle is just not in the cards". BUT I SAVED says the furniture shopping side. Here is what is probably going to happen. I am going to get that furniture that I want but in 10 or 15 years from now I will still have that same wonderful furniture that I was dying to have at one time in my life when I was younger and much more materialistic. I better chose wisely because I am going to have to love it for the rest of my life. Man, these inner battles suck!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

So I guess you really like that furniture. What kind is it specifically praytell?

Darren K. said...

Kelly-wow-Steven's wife. that's cool--thanks for stopping by my blog. I figure the person to corral Steven has got to be a fine person in their own right. Glad to know you guys are doing well in LR. I also look forward to meeting you someday. Tell your husband he's been slacking off on his blog.

I wish I had good advice for you about the furniture. The monastic side of me says--"furniture?" the other 99% of me says-- "leather is really nice"

khovater said...

It is a chair and a half the fabric has yet to be determined, an entertainment center, a buffet (but not using it in the traditional way) and a leather club chair and ottaman. I think that I am going today to get the buffet. Three of the items are from this really neat store that I love and visit every so often to keep the motivation and then the chair and a half is from this random store. Darren, thanks for commenting and I think that I am going to go with the not monastic side of you. Steven will think that comment is hilarious. Oh and apparently he has been posting on another blog www.pvministers.blogspot.com that may not be the right address but something to that affect.