Thursday, September 29, 2005

Why is cable such a big deal?

I don't want cable. I don't. I want to be a family that reads not a family that watches television. Steven, my dear sweet husband loves to make fun of me by saying "Like I am going to stop reading". For those of you who don't know him loves to read so much that the only reason why reason why he hasn't shelved his books in out new is because he hasn't had time to work out the details of the Hovater's Card Cataloging System. I am not concerned about him stopping his reading habits, I am more concerned about stopping mine. Also when we start to have kids, I don't want them to grow up glued to the TV. I want them to sit with me and enjoy Harry Potter together. I really am not sure what Steven is wanting to get out of cable, that we can't get out network TV. He says football games but that is only in the fall and once a week. Do you see the problem I have? I don't want to pay for minimal use and I don't want maxium watching. Two other reasons... everytime we going anywhere with a TV I have to practically do a dance for him to pay attention to me. I think that is a bad habit to form if the TV is on at home. Last reason... Every single middle aged to older adult that I expressed this opinion to say that I need to stick to my guns. Don't' you think that there is something to that? I know that we are adults, but older adults are wiser then us. No matter how wise we think we are we have nothing on them. Especially the ones that have raised kids. They understand the effects of TV on their kids and I am trying to prevent that stuff now. I am trying to establish good habits from the start. Is that so wrong? Steven wants it so bad and I don't want it just as much. Any thoughts out there?

5 comments:

Jesse Faris said...

i am definitely right with you, kel. i haven't had cable since i've been living in memphis, and i've been getting along GREAT. (in fact, i got a tivo to optimize my viewing pleasure from all 5 of my channels--i highly recommend that!) and i can't even tell you how much money i have saved since i haven't been throwing $50 down the drain every month.

however, i wish we could order cable channels a la carte. i wouldn't mind having espn for the football and march madness and sports center. and tlc would be fun so i could be encouraged what not to wear.

but really? who cares about any of it? you're right. it's just stuff we're made to feel is important when it really isn't...

have fun reading with the kids. i'd like to put a plug in for "charlie and the chocolate factory." it was one of my favorites.

Shannon said...

get cable. I need somewhere to watch games on that one day a week in the fall.

2coopers said...

is this a good way to support your husband Schovie? I hope this blog is not a bash-Steven thing because he is my friend...Roll Tide...can I come over to your house and watch the rest of the games on ESPN2?

khovater said...

This is not about support or bashing my husband. I don't think that cable is a good idea in any sort or circumstance. You guys are welcome to come over anytime but make sure you bring a book if you are looking to be entertained.

thewalrus said...

I know I'm late on this debate but I'll pitch in anyway. I actually sympathize with both of you. It is always this time of year when I miss cable b/c I don't get to see a lot of good games. However, I haven't had cable t.v. since I lived in my parents' house growing up so I can certainly live without it (even if Bama is 6-0). So, if Steven wants cable, just make him wash more dishes or something. Even better, make him stand in the front lawn naked and read Harry Potter to the passersby. You'll have no worries about any public indecency charges. It's more likely that the local animal shelter will get a few phone calls for a pickup.